“It is a legal requirement that UK vessels (up to 24 metres load line length) in commercial operation or charter use, carry no more than 12 passengers and/or cargo, comply with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Small Commercial Vessel and Pilot Boat Code of Practice and be issued with valid Certificates by a recognised Certifying Authority.”
If you operate or intend to operate your vessel for commercial use or charter (skippered or bareboat) you will need to prepare and equip the vessel to comply with the relevant code standard.
The Code of Practice applies to…
- Sailing charter vessels : skippered and bareboat.
- Motor charter vessels.
- Angling and Dive Boats.
- Motor vessels carrying up to 12 passengers.
- Pilot boats.
Full details of the Code is available on the MCA website at www.mcga.gov.uk.
The code requirements are divided into six main categories depending on the type and use of your vessel.
- Cat 0: unrestricted service.
- Cat 1: up to 150 miles from a safe haven.
- Cat 2: up to 60 miles from a safe haven.
- Cat 3: up to 20 miles from a safe haven.
- Cat 4: up to 20 miles from a safe haven, in favourable weather & daylight.
- Cat 5: up to 20 miles from a nominated departure point, in favourable weather & daylight.
It is a requirement of code compliance that vessels are subject to a full out-of-water Condition Survey, verification of its safety and lifesaving equipment and an assessment of its stability before a Certificate is issued.
For the safety of your crew, your charterers and to protect your potential liability as an owner operator in today’s busy and legislative world it is essential that you prepare and certify your vessel in full and proper compliance to the MCA Small Commercial Vessel Code of Practice.
Boatcare Yacht Surveys are Authorised Nominated Surveyors by the YDSA Certifying Authority for MCA code compliance and offer the following services, working to the highest standard to ensure full and safe certification and peace of mind for you, your vessel and your charterers.
- Code Compliance Surveys. (Completion of SCV2 documentation.)
- Stability Tests.
- Mid-Term Compliance Surveys.
- 5-Year Renewal Surveys.
- Change of Ownership Renewal Surveys.
- Pre-Code Assessment. If you are uncertain or new to the code requirements we offer a comprehensive pre-code assessment service which provides a detailed list of any required modifications or additions to the vessel and a breakdown of the correct safety and emergency equipment (and advice on where to buy the right equipment) needed to pass a code compliance survey (SCV2).
Please contact us for a competitive quotation. Help and advice is free.
Remember if you are already coded or registered with another Certifying Authority, you can transfer to the YDSA at no extra cost.